March 25, 2008 Leave a comment
a translation of Discover Magazine‘s “20 Things You Didn’t Know About Sex”
1. And on the third day, geologically speaking, God made fucking.
1. Life emerged on earth about 3.8 billion years ago, but sex did not evolve until more than 2 billion years later. Dirty limericks emerged only quite recently, geologically speaking.
2. Experts believe this was actually a step backward, evolutionarily speaking.
2. Sex—what is it good for? Scientists are not sure, since asexual reproduction is a better evolutionary strategy in some important ways.
3. Some species of earthworms never have to leave the house.
3. For those who refuse to commit to one strategy: The hermaphroditic earthworm Dendrobaena rubida has both male and female genitalia. If it cannot find a partner, the worm doubles up so that its female bits and male bits can go to town.